it's always something
Today I went to Dr. Axe to pick up my revised letter and mailed it out to the Peace Corps, along with a cover letter and detailed description of my allergy history. He was very apologetic for his earlier typos and as a gift gave me some fancy little chocolates.
Then I went to the eye doctor, because the glasses I had ordered in February (because the Peace Corps requires you to bring two pairs, so I had already shelled out $250 for a 2nd pair of glasses before any of the allergy issues came up!) had come in with the wrong prescription - plus 4.25 instead of minus, or vice versa, I forget. When I had picked them up last week I didn't try them on, so didn't learn that til I got home and had to go all the way back to drop them off. The excuse then was that they had left off any sign from the prescription, so the lens-makers had just guessed that it was plus (instead of calling and asking). So anyway, I was back today to pick up the new and improved glasses -- but they were still wrong. The excuse this time was that when they wrote +4 it looked like a -1, or vice versa. I was pissed and demanded to see a doctor to verify that my actual prescription was correct, because I was sick of coming back to these doctors for things that aren't my fault. So I waited in the lobby, took out my contacts, and made the doctor bring out these little lenses to show me that he knew what my prescription should be. They kept saying, "Isn't that funny? It happened twice." NOT FUNNY! I don't need any more funny things in my life. Just give me some glasses that work, dammit. Just let one thing be easy.
After all this drama, I get a voicemail from good ol' Dr. Axe. He scared me at first by saying "this is not a test." He said he was worried because he realized that he gave me chocolates and thought that they might have brazil nuts in them!!! He urged me to check the label carefully before eating them(which, Mom, I had already done), and said he was sorry and that he was "just trying to do something nice." Turns out the chocolates do have hazel nuts and peanuts, both of which I have antigens for and thus might turn out to be allergic to some day. What a helpful allergist!! I'm eating them anyway :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home