Tacuati it will be
I have been assigned to Tacuati, a small town of a few thousand people located in the department of San Pedro and near the city of Concepcion in the north of Paraguay. It's a good 8 hours away from Asuncion, including a few hours on a nasty dirt road, but Concepcion is apparently big enough to have internet access, Doritos, and Reeces Pieces. I'll be following up an education volunteer who began a lot of different kinds of work, so it looks like a great site for me to explore my interests OUTSIDE of just classroom activities, such as gender, parents groups, health issues, etc. It may be a town but everyone says it feels like the campo, which is the setting I was hoping for (I got enough of the city life in NY!). We met a bunch of current volunteers from that area last night at a bar in Asuncion, and they seem really great. Volunteers are divided into groups that meet monthly for support, coordinating projects, etc. and apparently my area has a really strong group that is fun and supportive, and I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of them. My friend Sarah will be located just a few hours away, too, which is really nice. I'll leave on Tuesday to spend a week meeting my community contacts, finding a place to live, and generally checking out the place. I can't wait - it'll be like a glimpse into the future!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home