Hamaca Paraguaya
Just saw this movie made by PARAGUAYANS that won awards at Cannes and other Film Festivals a few months ago. It was amazing, but it certainly wasn't for everyone. It was, however, incredibly realistic about daily life in Paraguay -- the repetitive conversations about the weather, the sense that things aren't going to get change or get better, the terere and such. And it was in Guarani, which I think is pretty incredible (subtitled in Spanish here, English in the US). I was able to pick out some of the Guarani that I understood, and could see even how the translation to Spanish is difficult, that words have a different sense somehow in another language, and I'd imagine the translation to English is even worse. Plus the dialogue is pretty simplistic, and realistic.
But I find it so incredible that a whole entire MOVIE that people have seen all around the world is about life in PARAGUAY. It is such a validation of a culture and a language and a way of life to see it portrayed on the screen that way, and I sat in the theater feeling so proud of this country and these people. It's unfortunate that more of them won't have the opportunity to see it. In the US I can't imagine it's made it to theaters outside of NY and LA, but maybe you can find it on DVD some day. I hope you see it (OR that you come to visit and see for yourself!!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home