my novio
In the interest of full disclosure, and mindful of the risk of public verguenza (embarrassment), I’ve decided to go ahead and post that I’ve found myself a Paraguayan novio (boyfriend). I don’t like using that word, because in the US boyfriend status is something earned after many dates or even months of dating, and implies something serious and with potential for the future. There’s no way to say in Spanish (or at least in Paraguay) that we’re just dating – couples here jump from not knowing each other to being full-on in love in a matter of minutes. So anyway, the scoop is: his name is Guido (hard g, not gwi), he just turned 24 (!!), he’s my height or so with blondish hair and green eyes, he’s the brother in law of a teacher I know, he’s an electrician and just moved to Tacuati to work on his brother’s house. We talked at the dance a few weeks ago and then he came by the next day for terere, then the next day for cold beers, then he brought me hot dogs and he taught me how to play a Paraguayan card game, then the next day he cooked me dinner and asked me to go steady (that’s how it feels, anyway). He’s really sweet. I’ve been clear that it’s nothing serious (don’t worry mom, I will not be marrying and settling down in Paraguay), and I was at first worried how this would all play out, but it turns out it’s been a really fun couple of weeks. It’s nice to have company, someone to talk to and yes, even kiss. I’m pretty sure my neighbors must know about us, since he’s over here three or four times a week and they know everything else about my life, but I’ve been surprised not to get any questions so far. I bet they’re all gossiping behind my back instead. Even his sister-in-law, who is a friend of mine, hasn't said anything to me, tho she apparently asks him about me all the time. Is there possibly such thing as privacy in Paraguay??

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home