Wednesday, October 05, 2005

the jobhunting begins

I had to take a bit of a break yesterday due to a nasty bout of what I´ll politely call "Traveller´s Stomach," but today I´m much better and rather excited to start looking for jobs. I redid my resume, outlined a cover letter, and sent an email to Marco somebody, the guy who coordinates Project Honduras, asking for his help in contacting people here. I just put my resume on Monster.com, mostly just to get at their career advice and resume suggestions, b-c all their jobs around here are corporate and boring. I also found the United Nation´s Volunteering page - I had no idea they coordinate volunteers! It´s unv.org, and it looks fantastic. What they consider "volunteering" includes a living stipend, travel expenses, and resettlement payment!! I had to pick specific positions, so I did Teacher Training, for which I´m qualified, and Community Development, which is what I really want to do. The website says all positions are filled for now, but I´m hopeful that once they read about me they´ll change their mind! On the agenda for later this afternoon: UNDP, UNICEF, Oxfam, Amigos de los Americas, Idealist.org, and Global Classrooms. We got out of school 2 hours early today b-c there´s no water in the town (I´m still not sure what one has to do with the other, but I don´t care!), so I think that´s a sign that today´s the day to log some serious internet hours and get some applications out there! Any suggestions/contacts are of course welcome!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home