Saturday, November 12, 2005

books!

I´ve been meaning for a while to write about all the fun books I´ve read since I´ve been in Central America:

1. The Real Fidel - a biography written by some British ambassador who knew him, this book had me totally obsessed with Cuba (I still am, really)
2. Black Hawk Down - my sister´s been bugging me to read it for a while, glad I finally did. if you want to have an opinion, any opinion, about the military, I think you should read this and get an idea of what it´s really like there
3. Memoirs of a Geisha - recommended to me years ago, it was so interesting to read about Japanese culture. I finished it so quickly, a real page turner
4. Coyote - a gringo tags along with a bunch of Mexicans as they try to illegally cross the border and work in the States. written in the late 80s, it´s a bit dated, but so interesting to read this guy´s experience and what he learns about the experiences of Mexican immigrants
5. The Life of Pi - I hated the first 50 pages or so, then I couldn´t put it down, then once I was done I was a little, I´m not sure, disappointed maybe. Haven´t been able to talk with anyone who read it yet, which I think would be helpful
6. Noam Chomsky On Latin America and Rogue States - he´s a bit hard to read sometimes, but his insights on American foreign policy towards Latin America, and everywhere really, are pretty interesting
7. tried to read a huge history of the Balkans, figuring these long bus rides are a perfect time to get smarter, but I couldn´t do it and gave it away to some Irish guy
8. Cat´s Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut - every time I read Vonnegut I wonder why I don´t read him more. This book had me laughing out loud, as well as pondering whether I too am a bokononist. Read this book in one afternoon sitting along the Rio Dulce
9. can´t forget Harry Potters 1 and 2 in Spanish. My mom sent me #3 months ago, I¨m hopeful it´ll be waiting in Ocotepeque when I return so I can continue
10. And now I´m reading The Starr Evidence, a huge book of the actual grand jury testimony of Monica Lewinsky and President Clinton. It reads like a trashy novel, with graphic descriptions of "sexual acts," but it is interesting to find out "the truth" and how they tried to portray it in their own words. Not a book I´d pick up at home, but it´s a great lazy hammock read.
11. I also have a copy of Bel Canto that I´ll check out next

1 Comments:

Blogger Head Lima Bean said...

I read "Life of Pi"...hated the 1st 50 pages too...only able to finish it after trip to India...would love to chat about it.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home