joparadio
una mezcla de todo!!
Want to give a shout out to my companeros in Horqueta who run a weekly radio show called Joparadio (jopara means mixture, and it’s what most people here speak – a mix of G$uarani and Spanish). Every Wednesday from 7-9pm I settle in to listen to their radio show and never fail to laugh out loud. The show is geared towards youth, and each week has a different theme, such as gender equality or dental health or HIV/AIDS. In addition to their own chatting, Sarah and Chris play prerecorded programs provided by Peace Corps (in Guarani) with more information about the topic. They interview local leaders and play American music, including a weekly Michael Jackson spotlight! I’ve promised that someday I’ll venture up to Horqueta to be a guest on their show. With all the cell phones and internet popping up all over the country, it’s important to remember that radio continues to be the only method of communication that reaches everyone, especially in the campo, and that it can be used to entertain and as well as to educate.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home