Friday, September 15, 2006

Operation Smile

Spent the day yesterday volunteering to translate for US doctors visiting on a mission in Asuncion with Operation Smile. That's a nonprofit that brings a team of doctors, dentists, anesthesiologists, nurses, and volunteers from the US to countries all around the world to operate for free on children with cleft lip or cleft palates. Apparently it's a pretty simple operation that makes a huge difference in children's ability to eat, drink, talk and, of course, smile. A US doctor is paired with a host country doctor to screen the children and evaluate their case, so the doctors have an opportunity also to share best practices and learn from each other. I translated for a doctor from Michigan who had previously done missions to Vietnam and Cambodia, learning all sorts of new medical terminology (and making up some new ones, I'm sure).

I stayed for 14 hours yesterday to work with these people, and nearly every minute of it was fantastic. The children were adorable and well-behaved, even in the heat, the parents so concerned about their children and grateful for whatever opportunities were available. Some travelled ten hours on a bus and slept on a floor in the gymnasium just for the chance to have this procedure performed (of the 400 or so cases screened, only 150 will be able to be approved for surgery).

Though I can question the program's sustainability a bit - couldn't the doctors be trained to perform this procedure here, instead of importing help from outside - I also think it was a great day and it was nice to feel that I was able to make a tangible difference, as opposed to the invisible impact I hope I'm having in Tacuati.

http://www.operationsmile.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home