Fighting Toads
No, it’s not the name of a new Paraguayan rock band (tho maybe it should be), it’s what I did this afternoon. OK, not all afternoon, I also spent 2 ½ hours teaching the high school secretary how to design an excel spreadsheet, which gives you some idea of the state of mind I’m in right now. The rest of the afternoon was spent fighting toads. There’s something in the weather today – it wants to rain, they say, which means it might not rain right away but momentum and humidity is gathering and it might rain soon – and with that humidity for some reason comes the desire for toads to come on in to my house. I think there were just two of them, unless one got shooed out my front door and appeared at my side door just a few minutes later. That one who came to the side door was persistent, though – at least four times he came up the stairs and then got pushed out by my broom, then he gathered his strength or something at the bottom of the stairs til he thought it was safe and then jumped on up for more. Sometimes he got by me and hid under the kitchen chairs or pantry, one time he was bold and just sat in the middle of the living room. I finally shut the door (I didn’t want to before because I wanted the breeze) and the little bugger climbed the stairs and sat there (I could see his fat little body under the door). It’s wild animal kingdom around here: geckos on the walls, a little frog lives in my toilet and even after I pour bleach in he comes back later, and super-speedy spiders that can build webs on books left on the table for a few hours. And very persistent toads.
ps- this was not just a one-day event. For the next three days I continued fighting the stupid toad, til yesterday I just gave up and decided he could live under my kitchen table, at least until he starts pooping or otherwise causing trouble. Stay tuned.....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home