Saturday, May 12, 2007

To Festejar or not To Festejar?

For two Saturdays in a row I’ve been faced with this question – do I want to party, specifically, go to the big town dance held at the Municipality. It’s a tough call, because I’m a little worried about going to the US and especially Las Vegas and not being able to make it through the late nights and drinking, since a “big night” for me here involves a half glass of wine and going to sleep at 8pm. That’s not quite what Vegas is about, so maybe I need to train for that, gradually building up my ability to stay out late and drink. In which case, I should go to the party tonight.

However, let’s not kid ourselves that a Tacuati party is in any way comparable to Vegas. There’ll be beer, but the music will be cachaca, which is slow and boring to dance to, or reggaton, which is fast and annoying to dance to. And there’ll be boys, but the same too-young-and-shy or too-old-and-slimey boys as always. And it won’t start til midnight, which means I’ll have to nap and wake up, which is always a challenge, and I won’t be able to run tomorrow, because by the time I wake up it’ll be too hot. And in this small town everyone knows me, so they watch me at public events, which I can usually ignore, but I start to feel guilty if I’m drinking beer in front of youths, or self-conscious if I’m dancing and they’re staring.

So, once again, my decision is to stay home. Am I old or what?? Maybe. But I’m also excited to be able to watch more of the first season of Entourage on dvd that I borrowed, and I’ll try to make it through a full glass of wine and stay up til 9pm tonight. Vegas, here I come.



Frogs

So a tiny frog was sitting on the headboard of my bed just now. How it got here I have no idea, since frogs are supposed to live in water. I haven’t seen the frog in my toilet since I started putting bleach in there, maybe it’s the same one, I’m not sure. Anyway, I tried to coax it onto a book so I could bring it back to the bathroom, and it FLEW. I’ve never seen a frog move before, and I don’t think the word “leap” really covers it. Arms outstretched, it flew by me so fast and so far that I didn’t even see where it went. It may have flown all the way to the bathroom because I didn’t see or hear it move again. Flying frogs. Who knew?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home