creciendo con la lectura - growing with reading
Yesterday (july 6) we launched our townwide reading project, titled creciendo con la lectura, or growing with reading, with a big event in the cultural center. All teachers and parents were invited, which means pretty much everyone in the whole district, and about 100 people in total showed up. I think this is a very important project for the town not only because of the obvious importance of reading, but also because it’s the only truly non-political thing I’ve ever seen happen – we have representatives from both political parties, and while they may talk trash behind each other’s backs, they were very clear in the presentation to talk about how we are all working together for a better Tacuati, which is so important in the midst of all the other political nonsense that’s happening right now.
In the meeting we explained that this project includes many different activities, such as reading contests in the schools, creation of a town library, putting newspapers and magazines in the waiting areas of town offices, etc. We got professional posters made in Asuncion, and little stickers too and gave those out, and have plenty left for prizes later on. I’ve been trying to remember all the Reading is FUNdamental and Sustained Silent Reading and other reading-promo stuff from when I was a kid in the states – I specifically remember reading so many books and getting a free slice of pizza at Papa Gino’s – and offering these ideas up as models of ways to encourage reading through this project. One teacher had her class create short stories, which they put on display for everyone to see, and they chose one to act out as well, as an example of activities teachers can do to encourage reading. After vacation I may head out to the more rural settlements to meet with teachers there about activities they can do as part of this project.
And, the highlight of it all, at the end of the launch we gave away nearly 200 books. Kids received little fairy-tale stories and grown-ups got books of somewhat bawdy jokes (hey, reading is reading). The municipality put up the money for all this, saying that when Coke launches a new product, they give away Coke to generate excitement and so should we be giving stuff away. It seems to have worked. Everyone was giddy yesterday with the books they received, kids have been stopping me in the street to ask for books, and three girls I’ve never met before came over today to borrow books. This is the project that I had nothing to do with starting, they formed a commission and had a meeting while I was on vacation, and I couldn’t be happier with how it’s going so far!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home