Monday, August 29, 2005

back to the "grind"

I´m back in Ocotepeque, and actually felt like I was coming back home, which was kind of nice. Today at school the kids were really sweet, greeting me with hugs, and I ended up having a pretty good day with them. I bought some Mad Libs for the 4th graders, b-c teaching grammar and the parts of speech is so boring, and today we had fun inserting verbs, adjectives, etc to make silly stories. I´m getting a bit better at understanding what each of the classes need - ex. don´t try to talk to the entire group of 2nd graders, they won´t listen, instead let them color.

BUT, I´m nearly out of my bag of tricks. I came with a bunch of ideas for activities and games, but I´m pretty much out of new ideas. I could really use some ideas for games (educational or just fun) for both the 7-8 year old, limited English class (they like Simon Says) or the 9-10 year old, fluent English, too cool for dumb games class (they like freeze tag). The older kids are especially tough b-c I´m supposed to do phys ed with them on Fridays and I just don´t remember that many active games. SO, if anyone has thoughts on educational games to use with vocabulary words, active games for phys ed, or just silly games to kill some time, I´d love it if you could post ´em or email them to me at lori_sandler@yahoo.com. Thanks :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Head Lima Bean said...

lori:

vocab/phys ed game: get the kids in a circle with one ball. choose a letter...the purpose is to say one word that starts with a designated letter when the ball is thrown to you. so if it's 'b' then i say balloon, throw it to the next person and they say boy and the next says book...kind of a hot potato concept.

phys. ed: dodgeball? with the guys in india we did this soccer/handball combo game that was fun with goals...you threw the ball, it could only bounce 1x, and there were 2 teams...jumprope contests? relays? think old school field day...

good luck...if i think of more i'll send them your way.

hugs,
gwen

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home