Wednesday, August 17, 2005

ropa americana

I was surprised to see that Hondurans don´t wear traditional indigenous clothing like they do in Guatemala. Their clothes (ropa) are exclusively American used clothes or rip-offs. They have dozens of stores in town where you can go looking for used clothes for dirt cheap (shirts for 30 lemps, or less than 2 dollars). We went ¨shopping¨ again today in a few stores, and also in the open-air market where some of the stalls have clothes, in addition to the typical fruits and veggies. I haven´t found any ropa americana I like yet, but it´s only been a few weeks and I¨m sure after a few months I´ll be less picky/more desparate. The guys have found some gems, bright pink shirts with cowboys and the like. It´s funny, too, to see Hondurans in clothes with words that they don´t necessarily understand. For example, at the Guatemalan border, we saw a tough-looking teenage boy with a t-shirt that said ¨Girl Scouts of America¨!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home