la comida -- the food
It´s been a week and a half, and I think it´s time I bitch a little about the food here. It´s free, so I try not to think badly of it, and it´s not necessarily bad, it´s that eating is just something I do out of necessity now and no longer enjoy.
We eat our meals in Carol´s house, and sometimes the family is there and sometimes they´re not. But they always leave something prepared for us, and we´re free to find what we like in the fridge. In the morning, I usually eat alone: a bowl of cornflakes, all-bran, bananas and milk. Sometimes the family´s muchacha, literally girl but really a maid, is there. Rosita is only about 16 years old and is a cook, maid, babysitter, and all-around assistant both at home and at the school, and she´s really sweet. During school, there are snacks for the kids, which I sometimes try. So far it´s been a cold hot dog with some cole-slaw-ish sauce, tacos (which they do rolled up like a little burrito), or a corn tortilla with honey. After school, at around 130pm, we go over to Carol´s for lunch. For two days in a row now it´s been this strange soup with rice and vegetables and potatoes. We ask for no chicken, because it comes with bones and kind of grosses me out. After that bland a meal, Jonno and I both went for something else: he made a sandwich with wheat bread, cucumbers and tomatoes, while I went the sweet route and had wheat bread with strawberry jelly. We´re all very excited about the strawberry jelly - I think they just bought it on Sunday and it´s already halfway gone!
No matter what I eat for lunch, I always get hungry around 330pm. I tried stuffing myself at lunch, eating meat and extra bread, and it didn´t help, so I´ve settled into eating half a power bar in the afternoon instead to tide me over. For dinner, which is around 730pm after the gym, it´s generally typical Honduran food. There´s one dish that comes wrapped in a banana leaf and seems to be corn, bean and some vegetables. There´s tacos, again a corn tortilla with corn meal inside and some vegetables, and salsa. One night we had spaghetti, which Jonno apparently taught them how to make a few months ago, with a delicious sauce with chopped vegetables. Sometimes there are flat tortillas with ground beef (such a treat!), beans, cheese and maybe vegetables. When they saw how much I loved cheese, they started putting it out on the table for me. So they´re trying to serve what we like, it´s just hard I guess to please everyone. Apparently one of the old volunteers really wanted to eat healthily, which is hard here due to all the corn and frying, and the family felt a little insulted by that. So I´m trying to get along and also find things that I want to eat.
In town, there are fantastic licuados, which are like shakes with fresh fruit, milk and sugar. I´ve only had one so far, and I´m trying to hold off lest it become a daily habit. There´s also a hamburger place apparently, and other places we can go for cheap food if we get desparate. I now understand why Jonno was so keen to go to Pizza Hut the day he picked me up at the airport!!

1 Comments:
Girl, what a time you're having!
Sounds fabulous; and just think, in a couple of weeks, you'll be the expert. I'm totally jealous.
I'm glad things are going well with the students, they sound adorable. Brooke and I had a VERY cute experience in Mexico with a group of little girls who asked us, "Perdoname, Uds. estan hablando ingles? Nosotras aprendemos ingles..." and proceeded to tell us in a combination of Spanish and English, about all the English they were learning in school.
They didn't seem to understand why we were speaking English to each other and Spanish to them; it was really quite adorable. And they'd all seen the Eloise movie, so they wanted to know all about the Plaza hotel in New York, funny enough. :)
I'll send you an email with more Mexico stories later, but in the meantime, suffice to say, it was fabulous. I miss you back in New York!!!
Abrazos y besitos!
Post a Comment
<< Home