Cathy´s last day
Today everything stopped at school for Catharyn´s despidida, or going-away party. It was really sweet, with cake and cards from the kids and lots of tears. The kids literally were hugging her so she was unable to leave! The woman who was driving her decided to leave at 11am instead of 4pm (that´s Honduras for you) and so I had to teach her class on the fly. It was great. The 4th and 5th graders are conversational in their English, so I put up the words ¨despidida Miss Catharyn¨ on the board and had them scramble the letters to make as many words as they could. They LOVED it and so I feel good about teaching for real tomorrow. The younger kids are much harder b/c their English is so limited. And even though it´s more preparation to be teaching four different grades, I do like it because I´ll get to know so many of the kids that way. I´m still getting ¨welcome¨ cards :)
I´ll keep it short today, because now that Cathy´s gone I can move into her room this afternoon!! She had a full-size bed with mosquito net (though I hadn´t put mine up yet and have only one bite), a mirror, shelves, and a bathroom that doesn´t smell gross like the one in the other room does. So it´ll be a fun moving day for me :)
Oh, and we had dinner and drinks with the Peace Corps guys last night. The local beer is great and less than $1. It´s a really nice group of people (tho they´re all a bit younger than I am) and I entertained them with my report on the new cultural happenings in the States, such as Dancing with the Stars.
Thanks for the fun comments - it´s nice to know that my blog is being read and is providing entertainment at least!

2 Comments:
Hi Lori,
It sounds like you're doing great and settling right into life there! So exciting... So, is there anything that you forgot to bring/wish you had with you, that you can't get your hands on and might like a certain cousin to send? I'm thinking of you and love reading your updates! Take care!
xoxo
Lindsay
Congratulations on your new room and your first day teaching!! How is the mosquito net working out?
Post a Comment
<< Home