Saturday, November 26, 2005

Guate vs. Hondu

Back in Honduras now, I want to make a few comparisons between here and Guatemala. For geographically close countries with fairly similar histories, they´re actually quite different. For one, Guatemala is way more indigenous - over 60% of their population identifies as Mayan. They dress traditionally in most parts of the country (except the big cities), which means really bright, beautiful woven fabrics for the women and in some regions for the men too. In Honduras, it´s straight ropa americana, ill-fitting old American clothes, which just aren´t as cool to look at.

I´ve also heard it said a lot that Guatemalans are more friendly than Hondurans. It makes me jump to the defense of Hondurans, even though there´s some truth to that statement. Guatemala, while poor, does not have the desparate poverty that Honduras has, and so the people there are probably a bit happier. They are also more used to tourists, whereas in Honduras, outside of Copan ruins and the Bay Islands there are virtually NO tourists. On a microbus in Guatemala, a woman was visibly so excited when I got on the bus, she quickly moved her bag and her little girl to clear a space for me, smiled and said welcome, and was just so happy to be on the bus with a gringa. That doesn´t happen in Honduras. I think Hondurans as a whole are also just less enthusiastic, to the point of apathetic, about everything. The people here are still friendly and helpful and warm, but just not exuberant. I noticed a lot more public displays of affection in Guatemala - families travelling together, couples holding hands, parents being affectionate with their children. In Honduras there´s not much of that at all, no romance really, it´s kind of sad.

I can´t wait to see what Nicaragua is like next week.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home