Thursday, November 23, 2006

Dear Santa

Sorry for writing you so early, but with limited internet access I have to think ahead about these things. Obviously being in the Peace Corps, I’m trying to live the simple life. I don’t need fancy clothes or food or technology, don’t need cash. In fact I have more than I need here in Paraguay, so don’t worry about getting me anything for Christmas (or Hanukkah either).

However, as always, a letter would be great. Did you know it only costs 84c to airmail a letter from the North Pole, or the US?? And if you send it to “Lori Sandler, Cuerpo de Paz, Tacuati, Paraguay, South America,” a nice little old man will bring it right to my window (one of your helpers, perhaps?). It can take as little as 10 days, or up to several months to arrive here. And by the way, it’s possible to fit cds or dvds inside those same envelopes, so if there’s a mix of your favorite songs you’d like to burn for me or a good movie you found for a dollar somewhere, feel free to send that along. Please see note above about junk food. Small packages are great too, but remember that anything over 4lbs gets sent to Asuncion and is a big pain for me to get. And that it’s all at risk of getting stolen, so don’t send anything too valuable (and don’t declare it on the outside of the package). Like I said, I don’t NEED anything, Santa, but sometimes it’s just fun to hear what’s new with you, or get a magazine or something silly in the mail to remind me of home. And children’s books in Spanish would be a great gift for my little friends here, I almost forgot. Actually, I could stand to practice my Spanish too if you have any good grownup books.

And of course Santa, I wish for peace on earth and goodwill towards humanity. I brought with me a magnet that says “Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of all these things and still be calm in your heart.” I do wish for you to bring all my friends and family peace as well. Thanks Santa/Papa Navidad. ¡Y feliz año nuevo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home