Thursday, November 23, 2006

November

The month of BOREDOM

The month of November sucks. Next year I plan to take vacation for as much of the month as possible. The problem is that schools are still in session, so summer activities like camps or youth groups haven’t started yet, but they’re giving exams the whole time, so teachers are busy and unwilling to do anything. I’ve pretty much forced my way into a couple classrooms to read books or tutor kids, but purely with the purpose of my DOING something. You’d think it’d be fun, relaxing, tranquilo, but my friends and I agree – it’s harder to get anything done when you have only a few things to do. And doing something, anything, passes the time. Fortunately two weeks from today there’s a big Peace Corps retreat, where all the volunteers and staff meet for a long weekend over Thanksgiving and have a traditional meal, hang out by the pool, and generally enjoy each other’s company. So I’ve been thinking about what I’m going to wear for that, thinking about pulling out the makeup even to shake things up a bit. This afternoon, a little too lazy to go running (here they call it being SIN GANAS, without desire to do anything) but I did go on a huge walk out through the fields for an hour and a half, which counts as a workout. Tomorrow it’s back on the bike. UGH

Thanks but no thanks

I know I asked my mom to bring Twizzlers and Hershey bars and other delicious things I can’t get here, but it turns out that was a bad idea. I have spent far too many days just snacking, enjoying the pounds and pounds of junk food – putting on pounds and pounds of weight, I’m sure. So while I appreciate it greatly, I will officially request from now on that only nice, healthy foods make their way to Paraguay. Or, if you MUST send something, one small packet would be enough – an acceptable, one time splurge, no mas.

On a happier note, the khaki pants mom brought from my attic still fit fine, so (until before this recent junk food splurge at least) I haven’t gained (or lost) much in Paraguay.

PostScript, Two Weeks Later: The pants still make it on my body but are not wearable in public at this moment. I blame my mother.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home