Tuesday, November 06, 2007

He's Gone!



November 3

Just like that. Guido left this morning for Buenos Aires. A few weeks ago he told me his uncle had a good job for him in BA and that he was going to arrange the paperwork needed to get a work permit there, and that he planned to go in January. He’s been frustrated because there’s no work here, and the work that there is pays little for many hours of work, whereas in BA there are so many more opportunities for him. This was perfect, we decided – we’d have a few more months together, but he’d be the one doing the leaving, maybe I’d take a trip to BA one more time, tranquilo, we’d enjoy the time we have together.

But last night he came over with the news that he got a call that afternoon that his work permit was approved already and he had to start work on Monday, and was in the middle of packing to leave in the morning. So we had one last night together, me in shock and sad, him so excited and exhausted with his mind reeling with the possibilities of his new life in Argentina. He invited me to go with him, or join him in April, but understood when I said no. Mostly.

So I’m solita once again. I knew he’d be leaving one day, I just didn’t think it would be today. We were together a mere two months, but we had a lot of fun and got along well and I’ll never forget him. He has my email address and phone number, and his brother is here, so maybe we’ll be in touch or I’ll see him at Christmastime. But probably not. And that’s okay, life goes on. I’ll have more time now to concentrate on the people here and making the most of these last few months. And fortunately I go to Uruguay on vacation in 10 days, and the beach is always rejuvenating. But I was blindsided a bit by all this... I guess since the beginning it was such a surprise to be in a relationship at all, and then that it was going so well, and now that it’s ended so abruptly. But I don’t regret a minute of it and am so grateful for my querido novio paraguayo.


postscript - several days later. Have watched bunches of movies, tried to let myself be sad but also not let myself dwell in self-pity. Going around town to talk to people seems to make it worse - everyone wants to talk about my novio, and when they find out he's left they say all the wrong things, such as "so you'll be going to argentina on vacation, right" and "but you can still move to BA in April can't you" and "so we noticed he didn't come by this weekend" and "that's ok. you'll find another novio now that the boys here know that you're easy. Now they won't be so scared of you." Oh how I need a vacation!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home