I am SO done with teaching
Honduras, New York, Boston, Newport News, it´s all the same. Today I yelled and yelled at my students because they didn´t do their homework AGAIN. And they were talking while I was talking, and hitting each other, and just generally not caring at all. I am out of ideas - I take away their recess, write notes home to their parents (in english and spanish), talk to their parents (in spanish), talk to the principal and other teachers, take points off their grade, give easy homework (write five sentences, define 10 words), tell them how sad I am when they don´t do their work, yell and tell them that they make me not want to be here, nothing works. Today I suddenly turned into an evil teacher from the 50s and made the 2nd graders copy from the board "I need to do my homework. Homework helps me learn. When I don´t do my homework, I lose points on my grade and that makes me sad." Then later on they weren´t paying attention to the story we were reading and I made them copy "I need to be respectful of the teacher. I should not talk while she is talking. She is trying to help me learn." I suppose actual corporal punishment is the next step.
I have absolutely no interest in ever stepping into a classroom again. That´s not true, I could see myself working in a school as a counselor or something but never as a teacher. I suppose it´s a good time to be preparing to look for other jobs!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home