Friday, October 26, 2007

seleccion tacuati














This year is the first year that Tacuati has participated in the departmental futbol or soccer league, and I think it’s pretty cool. It’s a big source of pride for the community and one of the few activities where people get together regardless of political affiliation. Last Sunday was the biggest game to date, against the city of San Pedro, who are the reigning champions or something, or just are really good. We lost 4-1, but it was still fun to watch. Paraguayans, as I think are most South Americans, are just crazy for soccer, and it was cute to see kids dressed up and cheering. The event was alcohol free, preventing the fans from getting too out of control, but I was disappointed that it cost 6.000g per person, so not all families were able to attend. I was amused to see the British flag flying at the game – the team’s colors are red white and blue and so have adopted this flag somehow as their own. When I asked several different people whose flag it was, the answer was a definitive, “tacuati,” but the geography teacher in me couldn’t resist explaining that it was also the flag of the UK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home