Sunday, October 30, 2005

the hash run

Saturday afternoon was my first ever Hash Run. It´s a crazy scavenger hunt-ish run through town, the purpose being to be silly and have fun and stop along the way to drink beer. It was apparently started years ago by some ex-pat Brits who had nothing better to do I guess (hash refers to food). So imagine probably a hundred gringos invading this poor little town, dressed in their Halloween finest, to meet up and discuss the rules and then to run like crazy. The organizers, who were dressed as hares, had laid trails of flour at 100 meter intervals around town, and we were supposed to run after them, yelling "on, on" if we were on the trail. Sometimes, tho, they had laid a false trail, and if the trail suddeny ended we had to yell "false trail" and turn around. For several hours we climbed mountains, squeezed through barbed wire, crossed rivers, ran through the town´s main park ... tho in all fairness I should admit that while I started out running, the novelty quickly wore off and I enjoyed a leisurely stroll through town instead. At the end everyone sang songs and paid tribute to the best costumes and the people who had never done hash runs before, etc, and it was all just ridiculously fun. Apparently there are hash runs all over the world - I highly suggest finding one near you!!


">Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home