In Training In Asuncion
I left Tacuati last Saturday to begin the epic voyage that will end with my sister's wedding in Vegas on June 2. The plan was to meet up with other volunteers in Concepcion on Sunday to take the boat to Asuncion, a fun plan which involved sleeping in hammocks for the 20 hour ride, a legend among PC volunteers. But on Saturday we found out the boat was broken and our cruise would have to be postponed. See photo above for the group gathered and pretending to be on a boat. Since more than a dozen volunteers had already gathered, we made the most of the evening and had a blast dancing it up in the one club in Concepcion (photos of me and my friends Sarah and Sarah2). Sunday's 6 hour bus ride to Asuncion was not as fun.
Then yesterday I completed my very first 10k, or as they impressively called it "1/4 Marathon." While my time was not, shall we say, competitive, I did receive a medal, which I proudly wore the rest of the day. I actually felt great running the 10k (bc of my training schedule for the half marathon I had already completed two 10k runs in site!) and am excited to try the half marathon, hopefully to be rescheduled for september or so. I kept looking at the people running near me and thinking "He's running awfully slow, that looks ridiculous," so my goal is to continue training for the half with more of an emphasis on speed from now on!!
After the run it was time to celebrate the birthday of a friend, so we watched some American flag football (well, some volunteers played, I watched) with other American marines and teachers, and then gathered at the most American of places to celebrate - Hooters. They serve really large beers there, small kegs really (photo above), and it was the birthday girl's choice so to Hooters we went. Let's just say I consider the day as training for two events - the run, and also the trip to Vegas.
Today and tomorrow I need to run various errands in Asuncion and prepare for the 13hour plane journey that begins Friday night.... and Saturday morning there I'll be, breakfasting on bagels and cream cheese with my grandparents in New York!
Then yesterday I completed my very first 10k, or as they impressively called it "1/4 Marathon." While my time was not, shall we say, competitive, I did receive a medal, which I proudly wore the rest of the day. I actually felt great running the 10k (bc of my training schedule for the half marathon I had already completed two 10k runs in site!) and am excited to try the half marathon, hopefully to be rescheduled for september or so. I kept looking at the people running near me and thinking "He's running awfully slow, that looks ridiculous," so my goal is to continue training for the half with more of an emphasis on speed from now on!!
After the run it was time to celebrate the birthday of a friend, so we watched some American flag football (well, some volunteers played, I watched) with other American marines and teachers, and then gathered at the most American of places to celebrate - Hooters. They serve really large beers there, small kegs really (photo above), and it was the birthday girl's choice so to Hooters we went. Let's just say I consider the day as training for two events - the run, and also the trip to Vegas.
Today and tomorrow I need to run various errands in Asuncion and prepare for the 13hour plane journey that begins Friday night.... and Saturday morning there I'll be, breakfasting on bagels and cream cheese with my grandparents in New York!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home