Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Day of Mixed Expectations

Morning: I sent a text message to Rodolfo and Rene, the two nurses with whom I am supposed to do our Saturday morning health radio show, and whom have blown me off for possibly the past eight weeks straight, asking them if we were still on for the show (Rene had given me a “let’s start again after new years” last week). Not receiving a reply after half an hour or so, I bitterly gave up and started doing other things. On my way to a friend’s house, I got a message from Rodolfo that he’d meet me at the radio, and Rene came by too, and we did a nice, if improvised, radio show about dengue (the mosquito-borne disease that reached epidemic proportions in Paraguay last summer). So the key to success, apparently, was giving up hope.

Afternoon: Having talked with several youths about when to have our first 2008 youth group meeting, they decided that the first Saturday in January was the best day. I made the reminder rounds last night and this morning, distributing certificates for their participation in 2007 and inviting to this afternoon’s meeting. I also made it a point to say that at this meeting we could choose to elect our new commission – President, Treasurer, etc – and specifically encouraged several kids who I’ve worked with this year to run for an office, thinking I’d be boosting their self-confidence. However, no one showed to the meeting. This may be just the general non-attendance that I’ve come to expect (Was it too hot? Too cold? Raining? Looked like it might rain? Did they just forget?), but in retrospect I bet I scared the kids out of coming. During last year’s elections no one wanted to run for office, they all had to get nominated and cajoled into it by their friends. I bet they’re scared to be President, or that they don’t want to do the work, or don’t want to look like they want to do it. So I chose my own fate in discouraging them from coming. Bummer. I’m in a weird position because I want to get this group in a good place before I leave in April, either in preparation for them to continue on their own once I’m gone or to continue with my replacement. I figure I’ll wait til after my vacation and COS conference and try again for February. By then I should have gotten up the ganas to go through the invitation process all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home